Hey bloggers! It's been a while since I've updated (and worked with anything 3d, for that matter!) but I did finally get some time to work on a sword. The idea was to make a Dark Angel themed weapon that could also be used on other miniatures. My first attempt was not impressive and was too animeish:
Never one to give up, I archived it and started fresh. First I broke up the parts of the sword into multiple components for future use (something I have been reminding myself that I need to do. This gave me a pommel, grip, cross guard, and blade. The blade and cross guard I started working on immediately to get something that fit:
Though Dark Angels traditional have a back-swept cross guard, I decided to go with the more forward and out-swept version.
With this complete, I added the grip and imported a few pictures for reference. I measured them out and scaled them to the proper size:
The grip is, of course, too long, but that will be fixed in a bit. I added the swords name "Atera Vigilantia" [sic]. Unfortunately, the spelling was off. The words are raised from being 3d text:
I then embedded the text into the blade so it looked like an engraving:
I shortened the grip and referenced the size again to see if I was on the mark:
I created the pommel and the sword was complete:
Total time was around 5 or 6 hours. I used a method called projection to make the cross guard. I'll probably make a full entry/tutorial about it as my blog ramps back up. Until then, you can see some of my work on livestream (including the projection) on LiveStream.
Until next time!